Principal study in piano accompaniment is designed to explore and develop all aspects of a professional accompanist’s skills as a collaborative artist. Students enjoy regular group classes with internationally renowned pianist Roger Vignoles as well as a generous allocation of time each week with a one-to-one professor.
In addition students will receive tuition to develop the many skills required of a professional accompanist, including:
- Duo repertoire and chamber music
- Sight-reading and quick learning
- Fortepiano, harpsichord and continuo playing
- Techniques for the repetiteur
- Basic conducting
- Introduction to vocal coaching
- Orchestral piano
Students of piano accompaniment enjoy close links with the instrumental faculties as well as with the RCM International Opera School. This involves playing for song classes and projects as well as weekly language classes. There are also opportunities to be a repetiteur for the Masters programme Opera scenes.
We are looking for a very high level of pianistic skill and ability to collaborate with both singers and instrumentalists. It is essential to be a fluent sight-reader.
All applicants should prepare:
- A programme of three works of their own choice, to include a contrast in instrumental and vocal repertoire, for which you need to bring your own soloist(s).
If you wish the RCM to provide soloists, then you need to prepare the following programme:
- Beethoven 7 Variations for Cello and Piano on Mozart's 'Bei Männern' WoO 46
- R Strauss Allerseelen op 10 no 8 (in E flat)
- Britten Let the florid music praise! (On this Island) (in D/G minor)
There is a two-phase audition process for piano accompaniment. Some candidates will be referred to a second panel. However, candidates who are referred should not assume they are definitely being offered a place. Similarly, if you are not referred, please do not assume you have been unsuccessful.
The audition will include a sight reading test.
All applicants should provide a list of repertoire studied in depth in recent years and show proof of recent public performances.
What to expect at audition
Please note, we are not able to provide RCM soloists at our overseas audition venues. If you are auditioning for piano accompaniment overseas please ensure you arrange your own soloist.