Complete entries, including all original piano accompaniment parts, must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Entries submitted after this time will not be accepted.
Peter Morrison Concerto Competition
Open to all students in their final or penultimate year in the JD, ie Years 12, 13 & Extension only.
- Closing date 8 October 2016
- Preliminary round 12 November 2016
- Final 26 November 2016
Gordon Turner Competition
Open to all students aged 15 and 16 at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 3 December 2016
- Preliminary round 28 January 2017
- Final 4 February 2017
Gordon Turner Harp Competition
Open to all harp students.Co-ordinated by Daphne Boden.
- Competition date 4 February 2017
Barbara Boissard Junior Concerto Competition
Open to all students in years 7-10
- Closing date 21 January 2017
- Competition date 25 February 2017
Angela Bull Competition
Open to all students in their final year, ie Year 13 or Extension.
- Closing date 7 January 2017
- Preliminary round 4 March 2017
- Final 11 March 2017
Marjorie Humby Competition
Open to all students aged 13 or 14 at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 11 March 2017
- Preliminary round 6 May 2017
- Final 13 May 2017
Joan Weller Composition Competition
Open to all Junior Department students, regardless of whether or not composition lessons are taken at Junior Department.
- Closing date 29 April 2017
John Wills Writing Competition
Divided into two categories (years 11 and below; years 12 and above) and open to all Junior Department students
- Closing date 20 May 2017
Teresa Carreño Piano Competition
Open to all pianists of at least Grade 7 standard.
- Closing date 13 May 2017
- Competition date 3 June 2017
Hugh Bean Violin Competition
Open to all first study violinists aged 12 or under at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 13 May 2017
- Competition date 24 June 2017
Chamber Music Competition
Open to all chamber groups involving students in years 11, 12 and 13 (including Extension) - one member of the group may be in year 10.
- Closing date 18 March 2017
- Preliminary rounds during normal chamber music session times or performer' platform on Saturdays 19 April, 6 May and/or 13 May (as required)
- Final 3 June 2017
- Competition winner's performance 22 June 2017 at Wigmore Hall
In addition to the above competitions the following prizes are awarded annually for achievement in ABRSM exams (amongst other nominated prizes):
Ian Stoutzker Violin Prizes
Awarded for the highest marks in ABRSM Violin Grades 7 and 8 as notified to JD via students/teachers/parents.
Grade VII/VIII Theory Prizes
Awarded for the highest marks in ABRSM Theory Grade 7/8 from the previous June.