Entry to the RCMJD is competitive by audition in February, March and April for entry in September the same year. This is our only audition period, though we may offer auditions outside this period in exceptional circumstances.
Before making your application, please make sure you have read all the information in this section, including the age requirements, expected standard and audition requirements. You will also need to refer to the PDF below, which contains important information and details of specific audition dates.
Our application deadlines relate to our two groups of auditions. For more information on these, including precise dates and who can apply for Early Bird Auditions, please refer to the RCMJD auditions information for applicants above.
Early Bird Auditions
If you would like to be considered for an early bird audition in February, we must receive your completed application by Wednesday 24 January 2018.
Main Session Auditions
The deadline for all other applications is Wednesday 1 March 2018. These auditions will take place in March and April.
Completing the online application form
In order to complete the online application form, which you will be taken to when clicking 'Apply now' below, you will need to have the following information available:
- A recent passport-style, head and shoulders photo of the applicant in JPEG format
- Most recent practical exam grade, mark and date for first and second study instruments if applicable, or approximate standard if no exams have been taken
- If taken, most recent theory exam grade, mark and date
- September 2018 school name, postcode, Headteacher, Head of Music and music department email address (if applicable)
- Names of current ensembles and/or choirs with which the applicant performs
- You do not need to send us references
- Please do not send copies of exam or festival mark sheets or certificates at this stage – we will ask for them if they are required